Sunday, December 7, 2008

Screencasting Tips

There are two things that clearly come to mind when thinking about screencasting, which I have grown to really enjoy. First of all, as simple as it sounds, having a clear idea of WHAT you want to say is imperative. I dont necessarily mean having a script written down, although that would certainly work. But having a clear idea of what it is you are trying to impart. I actually enjoy the informal nature of screencasting, that people arent giving a lecture per se, and they can make mistakes or verbal flubs and it is ok.

That brings me to my other point: with screencasting, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PERFECTION. One could easily get caught up in trying to do everything exactly right and redoing things a dozen times over, and it is just not worth. As I said above, part of the charm and appeal of screencasting is knowing that I can cough or say UM or lose my place for a second, and its ok as long as I am clearly driving my point home. So don't worry, it doesnt have to be the Gettysburg Address!

No comments: