Sunday, October 19, 2008

Google Docs

I'm biased. There is no way around it. I have been working towards my Masters Degree completly online fo almost 2 years now. Online collaboration has become a way of life for me. I'm all for it, willing to try anything that makes life easier. I've already convince my band that we should run our website from a wiki. For any students, online or on campus, Google Docs is a home run. Group projects become SO much easier. Everyone has access to the project all the time. No saving a file in Microsoft Office and emailing it out for approval...throw it into Google Docs and let me people tweak and change it as the project moves along! I think students will embrace this. Faculty, I am not so sure. My guess is that faculty become really wedded to their comfortable ways of doing things, and will offer more resistance. With faculty I can see the concept of who owns which ideas or which parts being an issue. It wont be an easy thing to wean everyone off of the "old way" of doing things: it never is. I agree with Steve when he says in 5-10 years, this is how people will be working, as opposed to the way we do things now with all the needed programs on our computers. Let it be on someone else's computer! Get rid of the software, free up more space so gametap.com will run really fast!

No comments: